Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Thinking of a Creative Title That Doesn't Involve the Names Sullivan or Jarvis, Oh Crap, so Much for that Idea

First I have to state the obvious in regard to the pieces by Sullivan and Jarvis; Jarvis’ is shorter and it has pictures. The rest of this will be legitimate I promise, I just had to get that out of my system.

The first difference I notice is with audience and style. Sullivan wrote an article for the press about blogging, and Jarvis blogged about the press. (This is why I felt like it was my duty to mention the fact that Jarvis’s piece was shorter even though it seems obvious and insignificant. Though one should remember that nothing is insignificant. This is a life lesson that has nothing to do with the prompt, but I thought it had to be said.) See, with Sullivan’s article there is the possibility that it will reach people who aren’t on the internet; something that I think is a major part of Jarvis’ sphere. If those non-internet users were to come across Jarvis’ post they might be confused, well more confused, when compared to internet users.

If one looks at both pieces it can almost be said that Sullivan’s is an in-depth look at part of Jarvis’ point; blogging. I really don’t have anywhere to go with this, I thought I did, but it’s just a sole thought on its own.

Here’s a thought that I was going to put in the last post, but I forgot, but it works for this one so yeah. I think that Sullivan’s point about how with blogging the deadline in right now, is compatible with Jarvis’ point about the product being the process. I know this doesn’t make sense now, but it will, maybe, I’m not doing a very good job explaining things tonight. With blogging everything is about what happened one minute ago. If we look at Jarvis’ diagram with all the arrows, which I now know is a timeline, we see that a story takes longer than a minute to develop. With blogs all of these steps are documented. I’ve noticed this when reading my two blogs that often there will be multiple posts through-out the day on the same topic. (connections!!!!) Today these topics happened to be health care reform (big surprise), and Maine’s gay rights election.

Another similarity that both pieces have in common is tone. Both aren’t concerned too much if this change is good or bad, more or stating that there is a change.

(Side note: I think this is the first time this unit that I have posted hours, with an s as in more than one, before due time. I am considering this a great accomplishment.)

1 comment:

  1. You're right about nothing being insignificant. They are all worthwhile observations.

    ReplyDelete