Sunday, November 15, 2009

Not as Far Behind as I Was an Hour Ago, But Still Not Caught Up

I’m definitely a write it and leave it type of person. I don’t really like to go back and look at stuff that I’ve already written. When we first got the lists of blog posts, this was the one that I looked at and went crap, I so don’t want to do that. But I’m going to have to do it anyway which makes me so not happy right now.

The post that I’ve decided to revisit is the one where we talked about reading the New York Times. I know, about half the posts qualify under this description, let me clarify. I believe it’s the third post in the second unit, I titled mine, “Done With 33min. Left Till Due Time”. Obviously this wasn’t my best piece of writing because it was rushed, but then again almost all my posts are done close to due time (or days after, sorry for the delay) and are rushed.

The reason I’m revisiting this one is because my perspective has changed. When I wrote it I was still getting used to checking the site, and had to remind myself to go on. Now I go on all the time, sometime more than once a day to read things, granted I haven’t checked it much in the last week, but I had other things going on.

When I wrote the post I also didn’t feel more informed because I was looking at more human interest stories than hard-core news. I still mostly only look at what I can fun stories, but I don’t feel like I’m not learning much anymore. I don’t know why this changed but I like that my head is full of facts about vegemite and Mickey Mouse instead of Iraq and Afghanistan.

A new idea that I would add to the post is that the sigma that all news is negative is only partially (there is no way that is how you spell that word) true. Yes the main headlines tend to be negative, but there is still positive news beneath the surface.

I think I have a better understanding of countering now. Even though there were parts of my post that I wanted to change, there were still ideas that I had that still hold true.

(I'm also posting this post in the same color i posted the other one in)

1 comment:

  1. Color consistency. If only Harris had a chapter on that.

    I'm glad that reading the Times is becoming a habit for you. Good observation, too, about the good news below the surface. For example, check this piece by Kristof:

    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/11/15/opinion/15kristof.html

    ReplyDelete